22 January 2009
Meandering thoughts on the next album...
There's a reason why there's a taboo against talking about projects at their infancy stage. But since I'm an imbecile...

... I'm going to wax meanderingly about the second album, which so far is only a figment of my imagination.

The working title for the project is "City Of Mud" taken from the title of one of the songs that I've written for the album.

The image that you see here is not really the real deal... LOL... just a photoshop oddity I got up to one night while bored and restless. I must say however I do look sullenly sultry... vomit... "Here's looking at you, muddy boy!"

Basically I've written more than 25 songs for the second album and I've chosen from the lot (which also includes leftover songs written for the first album) about a dozen which I like very much to work on. The songs I've picked also kind of describes some of my life experiences in KL.

That may make it sound kinda autobiographical. It is to a certain extent. But it would've been excruciatingly bumdrum if it was 100% drawn from life. There's no real narrative concept to it. Just impressions. The real challenge would be the recording of it, how to string the different songs together to make an interesting listening experience.

I've been making home recordings of the new songs and using those as demos for my producer. I don't know if Hardesh likes them... ha ha ha... he hasn't said anything about them so far... but it's because he's busy with other projects (he just flew off to Rotterdam on Sunday to stage a sound installation there for the film fest - All the best, Hardesh!).

The demos are also very helpful in helping me imagine what direction to take the songs... I've been listening to them a lot... not only because I'm narcissistic... but also because I'm trying to figure out the drumbeats, bass parts, other instruments... and backing vocals... and how the songs should be produced... This is the difficult part about being an independent musician I guess. But I'm pretty good at it... that's why I like working with collaborators... not just because I'm not really technical with the actual playing of the instruments, but also it's nice to go "blonde" once in a while... "So how should the drumbeats for this song go?" "Don't know."

Imbecile.

I don't know when the recording process is going to start. Definitely don't want it to stretch over one and a half years like the first one. But these things follow their own schedule...

Also, I need to look for money first... I reckon I'll need about RM8K to RM10K to produce this next album... why such a high price tag? Strings! I want a string quartet on at least half the songs!!! :-P

I was listening to Judee Sill last night before I went off to bed... and I was thinking, "Shit that bitch was amazing!" She had these amazing transitions...

Anyway... got to go listen to the demos again...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:
Blogger Lounge Lizard said...
Hey dude,

If you ever need help, the fat fuckers from Singapore are more than willing to help out! :)


Willy

Blogger JK said...
Hurray!!!

I love fat fuckers... from Singapore no less!!!