22 April 2008
JK Live at Impulse and Little Penang Street Market
I got two gigs happening this weekend, on Saturday 26 April and Sunday 27 April. Both are FREE.


Impulse @ Republic, Sunway Pyramid New Wing, PJ
Saturday, 26 April, 8.30pm
Admission FREE
Check out this link

Impulse is an event organised by Junk magazine and sponsored by Heineken. There's been other Impulse events in the past, but this one's quite special cause it has an electronic music focus, in that all the acts are electro-based.

I'll be opening the show. So if you want to catch my set, you've got to come early. My slot starts at 9pm and will last for about half an hour. I'll be playing six all-new songs I've been writing using Nuendo since I finished recording the album. They're kind of inspired by personal events that happened earlier this year.

My setlist is:
1. Sugar
2. Fuck You Up
3. We Are Meant To Be
4. A Different Beat
5. Only One
6. Goodbye My Love

No encores, unfortunately. I don't really want to play my Cakewalk midi stuff. LOL.

The main headliner of the night is Astreal, a four-piece band from Singapore. I haven't had a chance to listen to their music so I can't describe it but I'm looking forward to hearing what they sound like. Also playing are the Lapsap DJs, Blink and Xu, who will be spinning a mishmash of electro, '80s, disco, punk, rock... everything... that's what Lapsap's known for... :-)

I probably won't be able to party afterwards... because I have to go home and sleep and wake up in time to get to the LCC-T to catch my early morning flight to Penang... because of...


Little Penang Street Market @ Upper Penang Road, Georgetown, Penang
27 April, 1pm
Admission FREE
Check out this link

I'm very excited about this... I've never played in Penang before... Actually, I've never played anywhere else but KL in Malaysia... strange, really, considering I've played in Singapore and Indonesia (and Australia back in the day). I haven't even played my hometown yet... the Sabahans are so going to hate me... LOL.

Anyway, I'm just going to Penang to play at this open-to-everyone Sunday arty kind of market for about half an hour, trying to sell my CD. I'll be playing an acoustic set... just me voice and guitar... maybe about 5 or 6 songs.

I'll be there with Amir Muhammad who's flogging the book he launched in March "New Malaysian Essays Vol. 1". Also some other friends from KL will be there. :-) After the show, I'm going to go hunting for really good Penang char kuey teow, with prawns the size of golfballs! I'm going to go food crazy!!!

One of the organisers of the market, James, sent me the following blurb about the market.

"Anyway, the little penang street market on sunday includes some amazing silat and kompang from Penang's Pertubuhan Seni Silat Pusaka Gayong Malaysia; features two of Penang's younger singing talents, in Daniel Boone de Silva and Darsha, story-telling with the irrepressible Lim Kean Chye (including a children's story he wrote when in prison), some great big band jazz with the Northern Jazz Ensemble and a cooking demonstration (nasi lemuni).

This is in the Space, where the entertainment takes place. We will also have some 60 stalls, displaying all sorts of crafts, traditional foods and hands-on activities. There will be a batik workshop, chinese lithography, and a wayng kulit demonstration. There will also be our usual display of three Penang artists in the Visual Arts Tent.

This sort of variety and wonder is a typical day at the street market. Don't forget, the last Sunday of every month in Upper Penang Road. All completely free and completely fantastic!"

Sounds like too much fun...

Ah... life... hope to see you at the gigs... :-p

Labels: , , , , ,